Use Bulk Learner Import to upload user lists and specify which content your Learners can access through either Role or Access Code assignment.
To access Bulk Learning Import:
- Ensure the Teams tab has been selected.
- Ensure the proper Active Team has been selected.
- Click/Tap on the Learners of the team you wish to add users to in order to open its drop-down context menu.
- Select Bulk Learner Import from the menu.
The Bulk Learner Import screen displays.
User List or Definition Template:
You will need to have a text file delimited by commas. The first row of the file must contain the column names. These can be present in any order and may be in upper or lower case text. The following data columns are required by the LMS although they may have any column name: User Name; First Name; Last Name; Display Name; Email Address.
The following data columns are optional within the LMS: Password (if absent a random Password will be generated); LMS Admin (a single LMS Admin type name); Teams (a semicolon separated list of Team names); Roles (a semicolon separated list of Role names) and Access Codes (a semicolon separated list of Access Codes).
Profile fields may include: Prefix, Middle Name, Suffix, Unit, Street, City, Region, Country, Postal Code, Telephone, Cell / Mobile, Fax, Website, IM, Biography, Preferred Time Zone, Time Zone, Preferred Locale, and Photo.
Any user field as well as any standard or custom profile fields can be mapped in addition to any Role or Team. Roles to Assign and Access Codes from the web form will be added to each User. If User List, then the file contents can be imported directly. If Definition Template, then the file should contain enough records to define all possible input values. Definition templates are usually used just for creating import Definitions and do not need to be imported. Click Browse to locate and select your comma delimited Learner List file.
A sample .CSV file can be found at the end of this article.
- Selected Definition: Select a definition or choose <Create New Definition> to add a new one.
- Definition Name: Enter a name for the definition you want to create.
- Definition Description: Optionally, you can enter a description to help you identify the new definition.
- Allow Automatic Import: Check the box to allow this definition to be automatically imported.
- Automatic Import Notification: Enter an email address to notify when definitions are automatically imported.
Configure the Details for the new definition.
User Accounts: Select Create Only if you only wish to create new user accounts. Select Create or Update to simultaneously create new users and update existing users.
Role Updates: Various options are available.
- Create, No Refresh, Drop: Creates Role memberships if new. Does not change Roles that match and deletes Role memberships that are not listed.
- Create, Refresh, Drop: Creates Role memberships if new. Refreshes start and expiration dates for Roles that match, drops Role memberships that are not listed.
- Create, No Refresh, Expire: Creates Role memberships if new. Does not change Roles that match and expires Role memberships that are not listed.
- Create, Refresh, Expire: Creates Role memberships if new. Refreshes start and expiration dates for Roles that match and expires Role memberships not listed.
- Create, Refresh, Ignore: Creates Role memberships if new. Refreshes start and expiration dates for Roles that match and ignores Role memberships that are not listed.
- Drop Other Team Membership: Select if all other Team Memberships, other than those specified in the Import CSV file, should be dropped.
- Learning Roles to Assign: The Learning Roles available for this Team.
- Access Codes: Provide a comma separated list of Access Codes to assign to users. Optional.
- Notify Learners: Check the box to send a notification email to each Learner.
- Notify Portal Administrator: Check the box to send a notification email for each Learner to the Portal Administrator.
- Notify Email Addresses: Sends a notification email for each Learner to a comma-separated list of email addresses. Optional.
- Update Password for Existing User: Select to update password for existing users. If selected, valid Passwords must be provided for each User. This option will only be active when using the Create or Update option.
- Random Password for New User: Select this option if you want random passwords to be generated. Use this option if password column is not present in the imported CSV file.
- Force Password Change: If this option is checked, then the Learners must provide a new password the next time that they log in.
This section allows you to specify which uploaded Columns, Teams and Roles should be mapped to which User Fields, Teams and Roles.
- Columns: From the drop-down menus, select which uploaded columns will map to which User Field.
- Child Teams: Once the imported column is matched with Child Teams, the Child Teams drop down selector becomes active, allowing you to match the imported column to the LMS Teams.
Roles: Once an Import Column is mapped to the User Field Learning Roles, the drop down selector will display all of the LMS Available Roles for you to match.
To save your settings as a new definition, go up to the Definitions section and;
- Click/Tap Create to save your definition.
Once your Definition is saved;
- Click/Tap Import to Bulk Import Learners.
Once the operation is complete, you will see an Upload Report message where you can review the details of the Bulk Learner Import just performed.
If the password column is not present in the .csv file, please make sure that the Random Password check box is checked.