Assessments, like any Learning Element, can be added to any folder or course.
- Ensure the proper Active Team has been selected by using the associated dropdown menu.
- Navigate to the LMS Admin tab.
- Click on the Catalog tab.
- Click on the folder you wish to add the new assessment to open it's context menu.
- Select New Learning Element.
- Click on Assessment.
- Name: A name is required before proceeding to the quiz builder section.
- Input a Passing Score using a numeric value between 0 and 100.
- Click the Question Builder button.
The Question Builder Section will display. This section allows you to add the questions and answers that will be integrated into your assessment. Questions are arranged as part of Groups as a way of organizing topic related questions under one particular heading or section. Groups can be re-organized or have a limited number of questions to be asked. You also have the ability to import questions from another quiz or an external .csv file.
- Group Name: Give this group a name to help you identify the type of questions.
- Questions to ask: You can show all questions or set a limited number of questions to be asked.
- Question: Type in the question that will be presented to the Learner.
- Required: If marked as required, this question will always be included in the question group even if there is a limited number of Questions.
- Weight: Allows you to set a relative weight for this question compared to the total. For example, if you have a total of 8 points distributed in your questions, and you set this question weight as 2, it will be counted as 25% of the total score.
- Type: Multiple Choice: Learners will be shown all options and be able to select a single answer or multiple answers. True or False: Learners will have the option between either answer and be able to select only one. Yes/No: Learners will have the option between either answer and be able to select only one. Text: Learners will be asked to enter a text response which will be matched against a pre-set answer.
- Correct Feedback: You can provide feedback which explains why the Learner's response is correct.
- Incorrect Feedback: You can provide feedback which explains why the Learner's response is incorrect.
Enter any answer that you prefer for this question.
- Click Add New Answer.
You can reorganize the different answers by using the control on the upper left of each answer box or you can delete any answer by clicking/tapping the red cross in the upper right corner.
Additionally, you can include images for each question that helps exemplify the question or is necessary for the Learner to answer the question.
- Click the Upload a File control.
- Click the Add New Question button to add more questions to this group.
Your quiz can have different types of questions in the same group. In the example below we include a True or False question type which integrates perfectly within the same group. The True and False answers will be auto-generated to indicate which answer is correct.
You can add any number of question groups needed.
- Click the Add New Question Group.
You can also Import Questions from other quizzes, either from an 'Existing Group' or from a previously saved comma delimited (.csv) file.
- Click Import Questions.
If importing questions from an 'Existing Group', select the group from the drop-down. If your questions are included in a CSV File, use the Browse button to locate and upload the file.
- After the selection is made, click the Import button to process the information.
A sample Assessment .csv file can be found at the end of this article.
A confirmation message will display indicating the number of successful records imported.
- Click OK.
The Question Group will populate with the imported data. You can add further questions, import more questions, add a new group of questions or proceed to create the assessment.
- Once you have finished adding content, click Update to save your changes.
The Advanced Settings section allows you to fully control the utilization tracking of your assessments and surveys, when to display question and answer feedback, select the completion behavior, and even randomize the order in which the questions and answers are displayed across the different instances of the quiz.
To access the Advanced Settings section:
- Click/Tap the down arrow.
- Learning Element Type: Shows the Type of the Learning Element that is being edited. This field is automatically populated based on the option chosen in the initial step of the Learning Element creation. You can select another Learning Type from the drop-down but please notice that converting from Assessment LE Type will result in the loss of the Questions (they will be deleted) and may result in the loss of the Learning Element Detail Settings.
- Learning Element Format: Formats determine how your Learning Element is presented and processed. Please refer to the Learning Element Formats chapter of this guide for more information.
- Utilization Tracking: Provides you with several options on how the utilization of this Learning Element should be tracked. Provided by Assessment, will record the utilization status reported by the assessment. None, will not record any utilization. None - Resource, will also not record any utilization but the Learning Element will be treated as any other Resource Learning Element.
- Randomize Question Order: Questions will be displayed in a random order to each respondent.
- Randomize Answer Order: Answers will be displayed in a random order to each respondent.
- Question Feedback: Select how the Notifications and Feedback to the Learner at the completion of each Question will be handled. Options vary from Incorrect and Correct Notification to Correct and Incorrect Notification with feedback for both questions and answer.
- Pass to Complete: If Pass to Complete box is checked, then the Assessment must be Passed before it can be marked as Completed. If Pass to Complete is not checked, then the Assessment can be Completed even if it is Failed.
- Custom Window Dimensions: Allows to input custom values for width and height in which the Learning Element window will open.
- Time Limit: You can specify a limit of time in which your learners must complete the Assessment or Survey.
- LEID: This is the unique identification string (made up of alpha and numeric characters) assigned to the Learning Element once it has been added to the Catalog. It is used to identify the Learning Element. Initially, the LEID is n/a until is it added.
- Local ID: This is the value of a local Learning Element auto increment field and is a unique value within the portal assigned to a Learning Element after it is created. Until that occurs, it will be n/a.
- Reference: This is an optional reference field for administrative use. In most cases, you can leave this field blank.
- Status: Active Learning Elements are available for Learner utilization. Inactive Learning Element are hidden from Learner My Courses and Catalog.
- Views: This is a dynamic option that shows the number of times a Learning Element has been viewed.
- Publish Date: Enter a publish date in the field provided. The Learning Element will only be available from this date. You can also click the Calendar link to display a calendar. The date selected from the calendar will automatically fill in the Publish Date field.
- Unpublish Date: Unpublish Date for the Learning Element. The Learning Element will display until this date. You can also click/tap the Calendar link and select a date from the calendar.
- Tags (separated by commas): Type in words or phrases to identify the Learning Element during a search. Separate each word or an entire phrase by a comma.
- Utilized in Folders: Shows a list of folders where this learning element is being used. Initially will be blank until the Learning Element is created.
- History: Shows a Registry of modifications made to the Learning Element.
In this section you can customize the Introduction, Pass and Fail messages that will be shown to the Learners while taking the assessment.
To access the Messages section:
- Click/Tap the down arrow.
In this section you will find three customizable text boxes that correspond to the main parts of most assessments.
- Introduction: This will be presented to the Learner immediately after launching the Learning Element. You can use this section to give general instructions, objectives or indicate the passing score. Additionally, you can include images for better looks and understanding.
- Pass Message: This message will be displayed to those Learners that pass the assessment. It might be useful to provide some additional information or to congratulate for passing. Any information included in this text box can be followed by an image or graphic that emphasize the message.
- Fail Message: Message that will be shown when the assessment is not passed. This messages can be from a simply 'Try Again' to some more elaborated feedback.