Users or Learners may be imported or created in bulk; versus having to be created or entered individually.
To import or create Users or Learners in bulk;
- Ensure the proper Active Team has been selected; should there be more than one Active Team.
- Navigate to the LMS Admin tab > Teams tab.
- Click on the Learners icon of the specific Team you wish to add bulk users to, in order to open it's context menu.
- Select Bulk Learner Import from menu.
The Bulk Learner Import panel will display.
Learner Import CSV File;
You will need to have a text file prepared which is delimited by commas.
The first row of the file must contain the column names. These can be present in any order and may be in upper or lower case text.
The following data columns are required by the LMS though any column may have any column name: User Name, First Name, Last Name, Display Name, Email Address.
The following data columns are optional within the LMS: Password (if absent a random Password will be generated), LMS Admin (a single LMS Admin type name), Teams (a semicolon separated list of Team names), Roles (a semicolon separated list of Role names) and Access Codes (a semicolon separated list of Access Codes).
Profile fields may include: Prefix, Middle Name, Suffix, Unit, Street, City, Region, Country, Postal Code, Telephone, Cell/Mobile, Fax, Website, IM, Biography, Preferred Time Zone, Time Zone, Preferred Locale and Photo.
Any user field as well as any standard or custom profile fields can be mapped in addition to any Role or Team. Roles to Assign and Access Codes from the web form will be added to each User.
If User List, file contents can be imported directly.
If Definition Template, file should contain enough records to define all possible input values. Definition templates are usually used for creating import Definitions and do not need to be imported. Click Browse to locate and select your comma delimited Learner List file.
- Selected Definition: Select a definition or choose <Create New Definition> to add a new definition.
- Definition Name: Enter a name for your new definition.
- Definition Description: Optionally, you can enter a description to help you identify the new definition.
- Allow Automatic Import: Check the box to allow this definition to be automatically imported.
Configure the Details for the new definition.
Role Updates: Various options are available.
- Create, No Refresh, Drop: Creates Role memberships if new. Does not change Roles that match and deletes Role memberships that are not listed.
- Create, Refresh, Drop: Creates Role memberships if new. Refreshes start and expiration dates for Roles that match, drops Role memberships that are not listed.
- Create, No Refresh, Expire: Creates Role memberships if new. Does not change Roles that match and expires Role memberships that are not listed.
- Create, Refresh, Expire: Creates Role memberships if new. Refreshes start and expiration dates for Roles that match and expires Role memberships not listed.
- Create, Refresh, Ignore: Creates Role memberships if new. Refreshes start and expiration dates for Roles that match and ignores Role memberships that are not listed.
- Drop Other Team Membership: Select if all other Team Memberships, other than those specified in the Import CSV file, should be dropped.
- User Accounts: Select Create Only if you only wish to create new user accounts. Select Create or Update to simultaneously create new users and update existing users.
- Learning Roles to Assign: These will be the Learning Roles assigned to this Team.
- Access Codes: Provide a comma separated list of Access Codes to assign to users. Optional.
- Notify Learners: Check box to send a notification email to each Learner.
- Notify Portal Administrator: Check box to send a notification email for each Learner to the Portal Administrator.
- Notify Email Addresses: Sends a notification email for each Learner for a comma-separated list of email addresses. Optional.
- Update Password for Existing User: Select to update password for existing users. If selected, valid Passwords must be provided for each User. This option will only be active when using the Create or Update option.
- Random Password for New User: Select this option if you want random passwords to be generated. If the password column is not present in the .csv file, please make sure that the Random Password check box is checked.
- Force Password Change: If this option is checked, Learners must provide a new password after logging in.
To save your settings as a new definition, go up to the Definitions section and;
- Click Create to save your definition.
Columns, Teams and Roles
This section allows you to specify which uploaded Columns, Teams and Roles should be mapped to which User Fields, Teams and Roles.
- Columns: From the drop-down menus, select which uploaded columns will map to which User Field.
- Child Teams: Once the imported column is matched with Child Teams, the Child Teams dropdown selector becomes active, allowing you to match the imported column to the LMS Teams.
- Roles: Once an Import Column is mapped to the User Field Learning Roles, the dropdown selector will display the available Roles to select.
- To save your settings as a new definition, go up to the Definitions section and click Create to save your definition.
Once your Definition is saved;
- Click Import to Bulk Import Learners.
Once the operation is complete, you will see an Upload Report message where you can review the details of the Bulk Learner Import just performed.