When using the Accord LMS, hovering over information icons displays helpful tips.
This article will briefly describe the purpose and process of the Bulk Learner Import Feature.
A sample .CSV file can be found at the end of this article.
What is the Purpose of Bulk Learner Import?
The Bulk Learner Import Feature allows LMS Admins to bulk import large numbers of Learners during a single process while simultaneously being able to assign specific learning content to these very same Learners during this very same process.
Learning content is assigned to these Learners thru this process when using an Access Code, or thru the assignment of Learning Roles.
To Perform a Bulk Learner Import
- Login with LMS Admin credentials.
- From the main tab menu at left select the Teams tab.
The Teams page will display.
- Locate the specific Team you wish to perform a Bulk Learner Import function and highlight to prompt it's menu buttons to display.
- Click these menu buttons to display a context menu.
- Select Bulk Learner Import from menu.
The Bulk Learner Import panel will display.
User List or Definition Template:
You will need to have a text file delimited by commas. The first row of the file must contain the column names. These can be present in any order and may be in upper or lower case text. The following data columns are required by the LMS though they may have any column name: User Name; First Name; Last Name; Display Name; Email Address.
The following data columns are optional within the LMS: Password (if absent a random Password will be generated); LMS Admin (a single LMS Admin type name); Teams (a semicolon separated list of Team names); Roles (a semicolon separated list of Role names) and Access Codes (a semicolon separated list of Access Codes).
Profile fields may include: Prefix, Middle Name, Suffix, Unit, Street, City, Region, Country, Postal Code, Telephone, Cell / Mobile, Fax, Website, IM, Biography, Preferred Time Zone, Time Zone, Preferred Locale, and Photo.
Any user field as well as any standard or custom profile fields can be mapped in addition to any Role or Team. Roles to Assign and Access Codes from the web form will be added to each User. If User List, then the file contents can be imported directly. If Definition Template, then the file should contain enough records to define all possible input values. Definition templates are usually used just for creating import Definitions and do not need to be imported.
- Click Browse to locate and select your comma delimited Learner List file.
- Selected Definition: Select a definition or choose <Create New Definition> to add a new one.
- Definition Name: Enter a name for the definition you want to create.
- Definition Description: Optionally, you can enter a description to help you identify the new definition.
- Allow Automatic Import: Check the box to allow this definition to be automatically imported.
- Encryption: Select if the imported file will be encrypted.
- Passphrase: Public key that is generated when the OpenPGP key pair is created.
- Automatic Import Notification: Enter any email addresses to notify when any definitions are automatically imported.
Configure the Details for the new definition.
- Select Create Only if you only wish to create new user accounts.
- Select Create or Update to simultaneously create new users and update existing users.
Role Updates: Various options are available which follow below.
Create, No Refresh, Drop:
Creates Role memberships if new. Does not change Roles which match and deletes Role memberships which are not listed.
Create, Refresh, Drop:
Creates Role memberships if new. Will refresh start and expiration dates for Roles which match, drops Role memberships which are not listed.
Create, No Refresh, Expire:
Creates Role memberships if new. Does not change Roles which match and expires Role memberships which are not listed.
Create, Refresh, Expire:
Creates Role memberships if new. Will refresh start and expiration dates for Roles which match and expires Role memberships which are not listed.
Create, Refresh, Ignore:
Creates Role memberships if new. Will refresh start and expiration dates for Roles which match and ignores Role memberships which are not listed.
Drop Other Team Membership:
Select if all other Team Memberships, other than those specified in the Import CSV file, should be dropped.
- Notify Learners: Check the box to send a notification email to each Learner.
Note: In the event your LMS system is setup to send a ‘Welcome’ type email to any new Users created during this bulk process, the LMS will only send this email to newly created Users. A ‘Welcome’ email will not be sent to any existing LMS Users who might have been updated during this bulk process.
- Learning Roles to Assign: These will be the Learning Roles assigned to this Team.
- Access Codes: Provide a comma separated list of Access Codes to assign to users. Optional.
- Notify Portal Administrator: Check box to send notification email for each Learner to the Portal Administrator.
- Notify Email Addresses: Sends a notification email for each Learner to a comma-separated list of email addresses. Optional.
- Update Password for Existing User: Select to update password for existing users. If selected, valid Passwords must be provided for each User.
This option will only be active when using the Create or Update option.
- Random Password for New User: Select this option if you want random passwords to be generated.
Use this option if password column is not present in the imported CSV file.
- Force Password Change: If this option is checked, Learners must provide a new password the next time they log in.
Columns, Teams and Roles
This section allows you to specify which uploaded Columns, Teams and Roles should be mapped to which User Fields, Teams and Roles.
- Columns: From the dropdown menus, select which uploaded columns will map to which User Field.
- Child Teams: Once the imported column is matched with Child Teams, the Child Teams dropdown selector becomes active, allowing you to match the imported column to the LMS Teams.
Roles: Once an Import Column is mapped to the User Field Learning Roles, the dropdown selector will display all of the LMS Available Roles for you to match.
To save your settings as a new definition, go up to the Definitions section and;
- Click Create to save your definition.
If the password column is not present in the .csv file, ensure the Random Password checkbox is checked.
Once your Definition is saved;
- Click Import to Bulk Import Learners.
Direct Links to closely related articles are listed at upper right.
Sample CSV File
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Sorry! We couldn't be helpful
Thank you for your feedback
We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article